Sunday, November 11, 2012

EMDR?

My new therapist uses a therapy called EDMR, which is something I know very little about...but I guess I'm about to learn.  My first task is to think of the different ways I work myself up when I'm stressed or anxious.   Not surprisingly, this little exercise has been a bit of a downer.  From my research, EDMR (which, apparently, is often used for trauma therapy...so that's probably accurate) is supposed to help take those negative thoughts...and let them "pass as though looking out of the window of a moving train" (the words of Psychology Today, not my words).   I'm all about trying out a new-to-me form of therapy in the name of self actualization, but I'm a bit apprehensive about this one.  My next session takes place on Wednesday....so I guess the only thing to say at this point is..."all aboard."

No comments:

Post a Comment