Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ringing in 2013

Happy New Year!  B and I had a chill ringing-in of the new year, which suited me just fine. We had an 830p dinner reservation at Cafe Ena, a Latin Fusion restaurant here in Minne. We enjoyed some delicious ahi, scallop and shrimp appetizers, and ordered a lovely bottle of La Posta, a red blend from Argentina. I had the "Palma" (a polenta crusted grouper), while B ordered even more shrimp. In fact, B is making a shrimp appetizer for us to enjoy later today, so he may actually turn into a shrimp, or maybe go into some sort of Mercury overload. B, no more shrimp for a while after this, ok? We then came home and popped a bottle of champagne, and I was in bed by 1230 while B stayed up and caught up on The League.


B and his unexpectedly massive head-on shrimp at Cafe Ena

2012 was quite an eventful year for us, with B completing his MBA, our 1100 mile move to Minne, and both of us starting new jobs (well, mine only sort of new, as I rejoined the ranks of a former employer). We finished out our year of excitement by celebrating Christmas with B's family in Ann Arbor before driving back to Minneapolis for a quiet new year. One of my favorite memories of our holiday with B's family, was his mom's introduction of a new family tradition, the Peppermint Pig. The Peppermint Pig, according to Victorian Lore, represents good health, happiness and prosperity. After Christmas dinner, a small pig made of peppermint is passed around the table for each person to share a tale of the past year's good fortune and take a swing at the peppermint pig with a tiny hammer. Once everyone has told their tale and swung at the pig, the group then enjoys the broken peppermint in celebration of the past year's successes and in hopes of good fortune for the new year. Needless to say, we had a blast whacking the peppermint out of that pig.

While B and I certainly had a lot to celebrate in 2012, I'm not sad to see the year close and I look forward to seeing what's in store for 2013. I'm not a big fan of "resolutions" - after all, quoth someone literary and famous "a goal without a plan is just a wish" - but I do have one big 2013 resolution. My resolution is, quite simply to DO more. To be a "yes" person! To experience things! To accomplish stuff! Cheese alert - I want to be more than just a 'dreamer' and a 'thinker' in 2013.

So in a nutshell, I resolve to DO things big and small in 2013.  And per the quote, I have a plan of action in the form of "The List" - you can learn more and check it out here.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment