Monday, April 28, 2014

21 Day Sugar Detox (aka 21DSD): Day 1

Well, here we are on day 1! I made it through the the first day of the 21DSD (at level 1), but it was not easy.  Before I launch into what may sound like a festival of complaints, I am proud  that I overcame all the challenges that surfaced on this, the first day -- and the pride I feel now for  making it through the day supersedes the frustration and angst I felt when faced with these earlier challenges.

My first obstacle was that I woke up this morning with a bit of a crick in my back - I must have slept funny, and I've been sore all day as a result. When I turn my head to  the left, I feel a painful pinch in my left shoulder blade. I've been "painfully" aware (ha) of this ache in my back all day, and it has not been a good distraction.

My next obstacle was the sunflower seeds I chose as a snack this morning.  B did not buy them shelled, hence not very conducive for productivity.  Between trying to shuck the seeds with my teeth and then remove/spit out the shell, I couldn't easily stay focused on work. All in all, it seems like a lot  of work to get to that little  seed.  I think tomorrow I'll pack almonds instead of sunflower seeds.

The third challenge was the shaky hunger that began for me around 3:30 this afternoon. I felt fine up until that point, and when the hunger hit, I felt a little worried - after all this is only the first day!  I should be riding novelty wave and not feeling this way,  right?  Wrong.   I solved the problem by snacking on cheese, and will have to remind myself that the foods on the 'yes/no' list (including cheese!) are unrestricted in quantity, so I need to pack extra food when I'm at work so I don't fall over hungry.  It  also made me feel better that, when I later revisited the "what to expect" section of the book, Diane Sanfillipo (21DSD uthor) said that these feelings are not uncommon on day one, so I feel validated at least.

All in all, I made it through the day, so that = success.   I've chosen to copy the  "daily success log" from Diane's book here in my blog - here's what Day 1 looked like for me. I also tracked my food intake via a favorite wellness app  of mine, MyFitnessPal.

Time Went to Bed Last night: 11 pm

Time I Got Up This Morning: 7 am

How I felt when I woke up (excellent, good, fair, poor): poor - awful pain in my back!

General Mood/Energythroughout the day (excellent, good, fair, poor): fair - that darn pain in my back!

Exercise (type/duration): Yoga class, 60 minutes. This helped alleviate some of my back  pain,.

Breakfast:  3 Egg white muffins (recipe here) - with some modifications (I added onion,  black olives, and garlic). I made a batch of these last  night,  so I'll be eating them all week.

Lunch:  Salad with chicken (cooked last night), salsa and sour cream, and a green banana

Dinner:   Grilled Mexican Lime chicken (courtesy of B, recipe here) and salsa, 1/2 cup black beans with cheese

Snacks:  Those annoying sunflower seeds,  1 mini babybel cheese round

Water Intake: 6 glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment