Saturday, May 3, 2014

21DSD: Day 5

One workweek down, and now I'm into the weekend!
At this point, My headaches have subsided, and I feel pretty energized when I wake up in the morning. Waking up on Day 5, I felt great, especially considering that when I went to bed the evening before, I experienced the dreaded digestive issues that the book warned about. At first, I thought it was a "no go" situation. But right before I went to bed, circumstances changed and became a "go go go" situation. In all my travels, I've never experienced Montezuma's revenge...but now I think I know how it must feel. That is a LOT of personal, TMI info I just shared...but I don't feel ashamed, everyone on the planet has been there (if you haven't, well, you're lying!).  While I'm now feeling a-okay, I'm considering adding L-Glutamine supplements to my diet. L-Glutamine is an amino acid found in protein rich foods, and helps repair the intestines and improve digestion - not to mention help with cravings.  I'll be hitting up Whole  Foods this weekend for a grocery re-load and will check it out.

Each night, I'm re-reading different portions of the book to help internalize all that I'm learning so that it will "stick" once the detox ends, and last night I realized I have inadvertently cheated twice on my diet. I made a delicious and healthy Greek dip with a hummus base, only to discover that garbanzo beans (chick peas) in Hummus are NOT on the approved grain/legume list!  Oops!  I missed that fine print in my initial planning, but realized it when I was re-reading last night. I probably missed it because Garbanzo beans on their own  are acceptable - but for some reason, in Hummus form it's bad. 

So, why aren't garbanzo beans allowed?  Unless I missed it, the book doesn't seem to explain this. As an aside, the book DOES explain why peanuts and cashews aren't allowed (though other nuts, like Almonds, are fine) - and it's because cashews trigger a sweet taste which can then trigger cravings while peanuts can be carriers of a toxin/mold called aflatoxin, and eating toxins is counterintuitive to a detox. But, back to the hummus.  A brand of hummus I like is Holy Land, which is not only made right here in Minneapolis (yay local!), but the ingredient list is 100% pronounceable.  The only thing I can think is that the potassium sorbate additive to preserve freshness  could be an issue.  It is a synthetic additive, so maybe that's the author's beef with Hummus....Regardless, I definitely don't think it's a big deal, and my misstep could have been MUCH worse. I'm not going to beat myself up about eating some hummus - but will comply and cut it out for the remainder of the detox, and I look forward to adding this tasty treat back into my diet post-cleanse.

Time Went to Bed Last night: 10:30 pm 
Time I Got Up This Morning: 7 am
How I felt when I woke up (excellent, good, fair, poor):  good - felt energized and like I got deep sleep.  BUT, how I felt when I went to bed was a different story.  Last night I experienced the dreaded digestive issues that the book warned about (as discussed above)
General Mood/Energy throughout the day (excellent, good, fair, poor):  Good/Good
Exercise (type/duration):  Does watching a movie count as exercise? No?  Then no.
Breakfast:  Coffee with cream, 3 egg white muffins
Lunch:   Went to the Byerly's salad bar and made a salad.  Lettuce & Spinach with veggies, turkey, bacon, eggs, blue cheese crumbles and balsamic vinaigrette. 
Dinner:  Spicy Garlic Shrimp - one of B's specialties and it is delicious!  (Recipe here)
Snacks:  Green Apple; baby carrots and 1/2 cup hummus dip topped with sliced cucumber, kalamata, red pepper and feta (though per note above, I won't be eating hummus again while on the detox due to the fact that it's on the "no" list - but I personally don't think it's a big deal)
Water Intake: 6 glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment